It appears that Peter Thomassen  <pe...@desec.io> said:
>Hi John,
>
>On 6/20/23 20:27, John Levine wrote:
>> It appears that Peter Thomassen  <pe...@desec.io> said:
>Do you mean that there needs to be a way for registrars to tell a registry
>what their NOTIFY listening endpoint is?
>
>EPP, to my knowledge, is for management of domain registrations, while that
>endpoint is a global property ...

Good point.  They'd still need to invent something to manage the endpoints, and
there's the painful ICANN process
to allow putting anything new in the TLD zone file.

>>> How would a random DNS operator know the registrar of their customer zones?
>>> How would they learn when it changes?
>>
>> They'd ask the customer "who's your registrar" when they set up the
>> zone.
>
>Ah, but then that's not what we're trying to do, which is improving CDS
>processing. So far, it's done via CDS scanning which does not
>involve the registrant but is automatic (that's already in the title of RFC
>7344).
>
>Unfortunately, the timing of the scanning queries does not align well with
>when a CDS change is actually happening.

This is precisely the same situation we have always had with zone
updates and AXFR. If you don't care how fast your secondaries sync,
you can just wait for them to scan for SOA changes. If you do care, you
figure out where to send the NOTIFY messages.

R's,
John