On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 11:33 AM Joe Abley <jab...@strandkip.nl> wrote:

> (I have trimmed the cc list a bit to avoid bothering the other 20,000
> people who would otherwise also receive this.)
>
> Op 19 sep 2023 om 17:19 heeft Shumon Huque <shu...@gmail.com> het
> volgende geschreven:
>
> > I think we need to clearly separate the definition of a domain name with
> > the 'domain name space'. A domain name is just a sequence of labels,
> > and is a concept that exists independent of the tree structured namespace
> > of the global DNS (or any private DNS namespace for that matter).
>
> Domain names existed before the DNS and are also used by other name
> resolution protocols than the DNS.
>

> I am not convinced that the term "domain name space" has any real
> currency, or that there's a useful distinction between that and "domain
> names".

If "domain name space" means the universe of all possible domain names,
then perhaps. My definition of "domain name space" is the name space of all
existing domain names, so there is a significant difference there. These
terms are not rigorously defined for the most part, so are sadly subject to
interpretation.

A query for a domain name that elicits NXDOMAIN means that the domain name
did not exist in the relevant domain name space. But the queried name
nevertheless still was a domain name.

Shumon.