Joe,

On Sep 19, 2023, at 2:45 PM, Joe Abley <jab...@strandkip.nl> wrote:
>>> Domain names existed before the DNS
>> Well, hostnames did.  Not sure domain names did, at least using that term.
> All hostnames are domain names, right?

Well yes, in the sense that domain names were a scalability extension of
hostnames. However, in reviewing the ancient tomes (specifically,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc805), I was wrong: it looks like
domain names did, in fact, precede the specification/implementation of the DNS
protocol, at least in concept. Mea culpa.

>>> I am not convinced that the term "domain name space" has any real currency,
>> Not sure what you mean by this.
> The word "namespace" is used in a general sense all the time. The phrase
> "domain name" is used all the time. I don't remember hearing anybody use the
> phrase "domain name space" ever, never mind recently, so I wonder whether it
> is a term that is really in common usage. That's what I meant by "has real
> currency".

Googling ‘domain “name space”’ resulted in 318,000 results, ‘domain namespace’
resulted in 33,100,000. YMMV.

>>> or that there's a useful distinction between that and "domain names”.
>> The distinction is that names resolvable via the DNS is a subset of all
>> possible names within the domain namespace.
> I can see how it could mean that, it we decided to define it to mean
> something.

My (likely faulty) recollection was that the term “domain namespace” was used
during the discussions of SUDNs, i.e., SUDNs were names within the domain
namespace that were NOT resolvable via the DNS protocol.

Regards,
-drc