Op 19 sep 2023 om 18:24 heeft David Conrad <d...@virtualized.org> het volgende
geschreven:

> Joe,

Hello!

>> Domain names existed before the DNS
>
> Well, hostnames did.  Not sure domain names did, at least using that term.

All hostnames are domain names, right?

>> I am not convinced that the term "domain name space" has any real currency,
>
> Not sure what you mean by this.

The word "namespace" is used in a general sense all the time. The phrase
"domain name" is used all the time. I don't remember hearing anybody use the
phrase "domain name space" ever, never mind recently, so I wonder whether it is
a term that is really in common usage. That's what I meant by "has real
currency".

>> or that there's a useful distinction between that and "domain names”.
>
> The distinction is that names resolvable via the DNS is a subset of all
> possible names within the domain namespace.

I can see how it could mean that, it we decided to define it to mean something.

Joe