From: DNSOP <dnsop-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Shumon Huque
<shu...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 16:22
To: Edward Lewis <edward.le...@icann.org>
Cc: John Levine <jo...@taugh.com>, "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [Ext] About key tags

>… I think writing a BCP telling folks how to avoid collisions would make sense
>though (and yes, it needs to cover the multi-signer case too).

I support that.  Key tag collisions make one of my pet projects (visualizing
key management over time) cry.  And collisions are a multiplier in a malicious
use case.  Discouraging them is a good thing.

The point I’m belaboring is how the issue of resource over consumption is
addressed matters.  We can’t ban the problem out of existence, even if it were
simple to restrict it from ever happening, we need to enforce this where the
resources at risk are managed.

If this means a validator experiences some false positives, I could live with
that.  There are very few good reasons to have a complex DNS set up and such
situations are supported and tolerated in the protocol that doesn’t mean they
are good ideas or have simpler alternatives.  Discouraging wacky configurations
isn’t a terrible thing to do, especially since we can have (or imagine) highly
complex signing scenarios which could, if the planets align correctly, permit a
key tag collision no matter to what length we go to prevent a collision from
seeing the light of day.

Keeping in mind - this entire topic is covering the non-usual state of the
protocol, one that fears a malicious activity I believe has not been
encountered in the wild.  (If no action is taken, malicious activity might
follow now that it is described, but I have not heard of a historical case of
it.)  We are dealing with the odd, we need to mitigate its impact, eliminating
it might just be -relatively speaking - too much work.