From: Ben Schwartz
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2024 12:47 PM
To: DNSOP Working Group <dnsop@ietf.org>
Cc: shane.k...@ibm.com <shane.k...@ibm.com>
Subject: Side Meeting - DNS Load Balancing

Hi DNSOP,

The practice of DNS Load Balancing -- sending different answers to different
resolvers to optimize latency and avoid overload -- has been around for at
least 25 years, and remains as popular as ever.  It's never really been
supported in the DNS standards though, and it particularly conflicts with the
concepts of zone files, zone transfers, and offline signing.

I think it's time we did better on this front.  To that end, Shane Kerr and I
will be hosting a side meeting at IETF 120 on DNS Load Balancing, tentatively
scheduled for Wednesday afternoon:

https://wiki.ietf.org/en/meeting/120/sidemeetings#wednesday-24-july

We hope to develop a strategy for standardization, discuss topics that should
be in or out of scope, and possibly present a demo of what standards support
for load balancing could look like.  Please join us (in-person or remotely) if
you have an interest in this topic.

For  discussion in the next few weeks before the meeting, we'll be
experimenting with the IETF's new Slack channels for collaboration.  If you
have thoughts or questions, please join our channel (using your Datatracker
account):

https://ietf.slack.com/archives/C07AC0KDNJY

Regards,
Ben Schwartz