somebody asked me a few months ago why "it's always dns"? meaning, why are so
many mysteries and outages ultimately traced down to something broken in dns?
i answered that dns as conceived worked very well, and the first round of
changes (ixfr, update, notify, edns) helped it work well even at scale, but
after the commercial web industry started turning dns into whatever their
marketing departments needed it to be, it got very complex, and flaky.

hear: https://changelog.com/person/paul-vixie

joe, let's figure out how to "rigidly constrain" again. expressing fixed policy
which can operate inside the recursive system would be a whole lot easier to
diagnose whenever it's unreliable, but avoid the additional round trips that
the CDN world fears so strongly. we should want that outcome, which
corresponds to "anti-complexity".

davey, "another indirection" means both more round trips and more complexity,
and will find few friends.

see: https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1242499

vixie