From: Tommy Jensen <Jensen.Thomas=40microsoft....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2024 7:52 PM
To: Ben Schwartz <bem...@meta.com>; dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Cc: Damick, Jeffrey <jdam...@amazon.com>; Jessica Krynitsky
<jess.krynit...@microsoft.com>; Engskow, Matt <mengs...@amazon.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] New Version Notification for draft-tjjk-cared-00.txt

Hey Ben, Thank you for reading the draft and your comments. I agree we would
not need a draft for saying mTLS works as expected. This draft is saying
something different: "mTLS is the way one should auth clients to encrypted DNS
servers

Hey Ben,

Thank you for reading the draft and your comments.

I agree we would not need a draft for saying mTLS works as expected. This draft
is saying something different: "mTLS is the way one should auth clients to
encrypted DNS servers for many reasons, cross-protocol use among them." The
cost of doing something like "make OAuth or Privacy Pass work with DoT and DoQ"
needs to be weighed against what benefits that would give over using mTLS that
matter to the narrow use case where using client auth with encrypted DNS is
appropriate (where both client and server are managed by the same authority,
such as enterprise end-to-end).

For example, you talk about "privacy properties" of PrivacyPass — which
properties are you thinking about that would apply to the enterprise use case
and be more useful than mTLS as a result? That's not a leading question, I
legitimately don't know enough about PrivacyPass to know. Conversely, can you
expand on the downsides of mTLS versus OAuth or PrivacyPass? If you would like
to see a different recommendation, it would be good to understand why. If you
disagree with the requirements the draft defined to based its reasoning on,
that's a good place to start too (I note the markdown didn't survive the
submission and the bulleted lists in the first two paragraphs of section 6 are
not lists, sorry about that).

Thanks,
Tommy