*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

Three items below.

See:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ephome/news/newshtm/stop/st090600.htm

What's Wrong With Newspaper Discussion Boards

by Steve Outing, Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2000

I've run three Internet "lists" (a.k.a. discussion boards) for several
years, and I know first-hand that the concept is a wonderful way to create
a strong community among online users who share a common interest.
-clip-
In this article, I'll offer some advice on how to make your news Web site
discussion boards a compelling component of your online presence.

>From this month's:
http://www.onlinecommunityreport.com/

I found:
http://www.realcommunities.com/products/whitepaperdownload.htm

RealCommunities' White Paper
Shared Knowledge and a Common Purpose: Using the 12 Principles of
Civilization™ to Build Web Communities

And finally, dig into the recent "Message Boards" discussion from:
http://clio.lyris.net/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?visit=online-news

While I agree with Outing's comments about creating granular local
discussions, I question whether their are limits to what newspapers can or
will do as legal owners of community dialogue spaces.  Might there be a
way for the major media online sites in a community to work together with
local civic organizations and even governments to create legally "public"
or at least shared spaces that operate as neutral discussion spaces that
engender full community trust and participation?  I'd like to see
discussion where elected officials participate on a regular basis and I
don't know that they will do that on the newspaper's virtual turf???

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***