Following on from this, I've done a fairly quick CSS-only mockup.

It can be found here: https://httpd-docs.jason-9eb.workers.dev/ There's a switcher at the bottom centre.

There's a few PNG screenshots as well at https://httpd-docs.jason-9eb.workers.dev/screenshots


On 1/10/26 18:25, Jason Lingohr wrote:

(Re-sending, used wrong from address)

Howdy Rich,

Late to the part here, but anyway...

I too am not a web developer, but would like to give my views/kick things off a little.

Is the desire to:

  * Modernise the look and feel of the:
      o httpd website
      o docs pages
      o both?
  * Or are we talking about also moving on from XML and XSLT to
    something more modern, like the Flink project and using Hugo etc?

It's been a while since I've played here, and have discovered that SSH isn't a thing anymore, where I'd usually stage stuff for an initial look; how are things done now (excluding the whole git stanging.apache.org way)?

(I also tried SFTP to good ole minotaur and home.apache.org that id.apache.org mentions, no dice, even with seemingly correct SSH keys.)



On 26/5/26 01:29, Rich Bowen wrote:
Hi, friends,

I’m sure you’ve seen the flurry of activity from me, and wondered what I’m 
doing. I apologize for not checking in earlier.

What I’ve done already is to resolve all open docs tickets, and rewritten the 
/rewrite section of the docs to reflect the current state of things.

I’ve been doing some analysis of the rest of the docs - broken links, 
undocumented features/directives, adherence to the style guide.

And I made some changes to the main website to make it more mobile friendly, 
although there’s still more that could be done there.

Now that most of the actual low-hanging stuff has been addressed, I’d love to 
chat with folks about what they would like to see happen next.

Right now I’m looking the docs-project portion of the site, hoping to make it a 
little more welcoming. And more broadly, I’m hoping that we can make the entire 
website more attractive, and look a little less like a project from 2008. 
However, I entirely lack any kind of website design skills, so I’m not sure how 
to do that. I’ve been mostly focusing on attempting to bring the site more in 
line with the progress that has been made in the project since the last time 
the website was refreshed. We have a lot of content, especially the /dev 
section, that is just completely outdated, referring mostly to the 2.0 or even 
1.3 versions of stuff. I’m hoping to update that, but that will require working 
with someone who actually works on the code to ensure that stuff is right 
before I commit it - so more RTC on that content than I’ve been for the rest of 
the work, where I’ve been moving fast, and breaking some stuff along the way.

—Rich
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail:[email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail:[email protected]

Reply via email to