On 1/4/2011 1:57 AM, David Nelson wrote:
Hi Barbara, :-)

You could try telling us briefly about your degree of experience in
documentation-writing? We might be able to better advise you in that
case... ;-)

You could also take a look at [1], where you will see a list of
documentation still needing to be drafted....

Some people like to work on LibreOffice documentation via the
oooauthors site [2]...

What are you interested in doing?

[1]
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#Documentation_Still_To_Be_Drafted
[2]  http://oooauthors.org

David Nelson

I was a computer programmer with IBM's Federal Systems Division for 28 years (1966-94), working on things like the Apollo program, air traffic control, and satellite command and control. During that time, I did a very large amount of technical writing, for the last ten years or so in BookMaster (IBM's tagged markup language), including design specifications, course material, user's guides, proposals, and so on. After IBM sold FSD, I (along with about 2000 others!) was declared "surplus to their requirements" (i.e., laid off); I'm now officially an IBM retiree. After that I did some contract work; one job was document conversion of about 15 volumes of IBM technical documentation from HTML to two other documentation languages using Perl on Unix, another was writing some of the built-in help for a couple of IBM products, another was writing PowerPoint courseware for a couple of Tivoli products.

Since then, I've done a lot of "odds and ends" for personal/home business use -- mostly using Writer, with the largest project being user's guides for some games my son wrote. I've also used Base, designing a system for a volunteer activity tracking deed restriction violations, Calc for a few quick-and-dirty spreadsheets, and a very small amount of work in Impress.

I'd be interested in writing, editing, proofreading -- whatever is most needed. At the moment I have OOo 3.1.1 on several Windows systems, with my primary computer Win7. I typically don't install betas and wait a while after release to start using products, but obviously I'd be willing to get LibO. My primary focus is on helping users, especially new users, and I've been pretty active on the OOo help and discuss mailing lists, and lately the LibO versions of those. I'll check out that wiki reference, thanks! (Surprised to see the reference to the oooauthors site, thought there'd be a separate one!)