> 1) The versioning system should be totally independent of Alfresco's
versioning,

So, every time I post an updated version of a document such that it can be
freely read and used by others (e.g. update it on Alfresco), I must also
manually obtain a new portable version number, put that in the file when saving
it, and associate where that version can be found?  No thanks.

There is no need for yet another versioning system.  We just require that
versions exist and are weakly ordered.  That already is present.  We do not
need the same mechanism and versioning authority to be used everywhere.