On 6/23/2011 1:44 PM, Nino Novak wrote:
On Thursday, 23. June 2011 18:53:12 Gary Schnabl wrote:
On 6/23/2011 12:44 PM, Nino Novak wrote:
Hi Gary,

On Thursday, 23. June 2011 18:35:27 Gary Schnabl wrote:
Therefore, I suggest that every OOo/LO PDF file be so converted by
Adobe Acrobat Professional afterward, prior to release so that
OOo/LO users will have that extra functionality.
What purpose do you want this functionality for?

It seems foolish not to so enable them for the Comment and Review
function, considering its ease to do so with no added cost or real
time and effort...
But for what purpose?

Nino
DUH! For any users wanting to add any highlighting and such--a thing
typically done by millions of students and others over the past few
decades on their printed material and books by (usually
yellow-colored) magic markers.
Sorry, Gary, for my ignorance ;-)

I myself have never had the idea to use PDF and highlight something
therein, so I just did not know / could not imagine that this is done by
so many people today. I remember how happy we have been some decades ago
when PDF was "invented" and everybody could read a document with the
same layout all over the world. So I just did not recognize the
interactive capabilities of PDF today.

That highlighting functionality can
also be done now electronically on PDFs (as it is commonly done on
such converted PDFs) and even carried over to printed hard copy, if
users so desire to print them out afterward.

In addition to highlighting, editorial comments and the like by users
could also be added directly to the PDF documents, among other
capabilities.
 From these facts I'd say: There is a grain of truth in your arguments
;-)

But - however - I'd still say, if "we" provide a User Manual, then we do
this for one reason: to enable more users to use our software in a
better way. So primary goal is to attract/ enable/ empower /educate
software users. If some of them really want to highlight the manual or
enter comments, ok, maybe. But this is too far from the original purpose
in my humble eyes. So it might be good to offer it as a service from
someone who believes it makes the difference. But not for "us", who are
offering primarily the "core services". Just like many Extensions are
built by "external" persons. However, if they really provide a
substantial surplus, then people will love them and call for integration
into core. So the way to go is, at least for the moment, find someone to
implement the functionality, offer it publicly, and wait :-)

Nino

You can easily try it out. Try the Adobe website. They probably have such enabled PDFs for users to practice on.

Otherwise, email me, and I will send you as an attachment an enabled Writer Guide PDF.

Gary

--

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>