Hi Peter,
(maybe we should open an other thread for this)

Am 11.01.2015 um 09:48 schrieb PeeWee:
Hello Klaus

I am puzzled as to why the graphics for the front and rear cover art for the
guides is in SVG format.

Using SVG format does make it a little awkward if you want to do a quick
change or correction to the cover art. I came across this when I wanted to
update the front and rear covers for the Math Guide to version 4.4. Jean and
myself have managed this, but it should be a lot simpler.

If you only want to change the number I can do such things.

Inkscape is an SVG editor, but has a very steep learning curve which I do
not have time to learn.

Same here with DRAW.

My suggestion is that we use LibreOffice Draw to
create the front and rear covers for LO guides. Draw is capable in my
opinion and would look better using LibreOffice to create all content for
the user guides. Is there any reason why we do not use LO Draw?

It was a decision of the Design Team:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design :

<quote>
The source of your design should be editable within an open-source image editor, such as Inkscape, GIMP, or Pencil.
    PNG is our preferred format for images you upload to the wiki.
SVG is our preferred format for source files of vector images, which you don't have to publish unless you're asked to.
</quote>

And so I made all my proposals, not only for drafting covers, in Inkscape (and learned it a little bit by the way). But maybe DRAW is easy to learn.

I don't know if DRAW is able to make usable files for high quality printing of posters, banners and so on.

I dare to say: the Design team and the professional designers outside won't work with DRAW, but we can ask them.

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation