One of the best classes I ever had in college was on group dynamics. In
fact, I think I use the information gained there more often in all facets of
life than anything else I shucked out tuition bucks for.

And this e-mail group is a classic example right up and down the line of how
groups work. There are leaders and followers, those who speak out and those
who hold back, those who agree and those who differ.

In essence, the Doobie Brothers and their music is what brought all together
in this community. Along the way, we learn other things about each other and
want to celebrate that among ourselves. In our every-day lives, we associate
ourselves with groups (workmates, friends, neighbors) that first brought us
together in just one way. Over time, those connections evolve and expand. If
we don't like the way they're heading, we find new places of association.

One thing I do know is that over their 30-year history, the Doobie Brothers
haven't solely given us their music. They've given their time and talents to
help with a host of worthwhile causes. It's that spirit that I think the fan
club has strongly gravitated toward in recent years.

Do I relish each and every posting to the list? No. And I don't expect every
fan club member to gush over something I post. But I do know that I relish
being able to have a place to turn to hear from like-minded souls as myself.
It's all part of being a piece of a community.

--Thor