Andrew Drapper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several old computers, all beyond it. a P2 and a dead Celeron 2.2 I
> have very little spare cash. Should I upgrade the main-board and
> and processor or by something second-hand from ebay?
>
> What do you recommend to run something like Ubuntu 9.10 and may be to begin
> to use to rip and serve DVD to and oldish TV.
>
> Andrew Drapper
>
> www.Bible-Matters.com

Where actually are you in Dorset?
Im nr Wareham, and am on good terms with the manager of the Recycling
center on the Westminster ind estate.
Now they get lots of good pc's , etc in everyweek,
they arnt supposed to part with any on account of the data protction
act, but,
once the original harddrive is removed on site theres no problem with
that hurdle.
About a tenner will get you a good P4 tower case complete with
everything in working condition.
Id need to have a word with him first tho.
You supply your own HD.
Do let me know if this is a possibility for you.
You havnt read any of this, so dont mention it to anyone.
you would have to collect it by arrangement.
The next possibility is a friend who is a IT broker.
I handle all the laptops that come his way , but he does deal in
desktops as well.
These are from about ?35 to 40.00 complete with hard drive.
17.in TFT Monitors about ?35.00 as well.
a nice 22in ditto ?60.00
I see him about once a week.
Ted Frater

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/