Hi Clive,

> > > Ubuntu 9.10 installed on new PC and Laptop up-dated, majority is
> > > fine but problem with Xsane and my scanner.  It worked OK under
> > > 9.04 but not on 9.10, any ideas please?

Sounds like
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/485551

Try without xsane.  Run scanimage, a non-GUI bit of SANE.

    SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255 scanimage >lide50.pnm 2>lide50.log

It should produce two files.  lide50.pnm may be zero bytes long if the
scan went badly.  Else, it will be a nifty little "Portable aNymap"
image, viewable with something like "gnome-open lide50.pnm" assuming
you're running gnome.

Either way, lide50.log will have a lot of internal stuff in it, which
may shed some light given study.

BTW, you can get a Launchpad account, if you haven't one already, and
click the "Does this bug also affect you?" link that's under the yellow
box at the top to vote for its resolution.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/485551/+affectsmetoo

Cheers,

Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/