On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 17:51 +0000, Terry Coles wrote:
> On Thursday 11 Feb 2010, Peter Merchant wrote:
> > Is anyone else having problems with Kubuntu since the latest set of
> > updates?
> >
> > I now have the problem that as soon as I boot up and log in, it tells me
> > that it has disabled my sound card and replaced it with one that doesn't
> > work, and the wireless connection will not come up. When I select my
> > wireless connection - nothing.
>
> This is exactly what happened to me.  However, perhaps because I was bitten
> like this before, I chose to Manage Devices from the dialogue and the HTA ATI
> SB device was grey and only Pulse Audio was available.  Did you choose to
> Remove Device?
>
> I immediately rebooted and everything has worked normally since then.
>
> > However, it seems as if I boot the machine up, leave it for approx ten
> > minutes (make and have coffee), log in, leave it for a few more minutes,
> > (paint a door) then everything is OK. Here I am.
>
> I never saw anything like that.
>
> --
>               Terry Coles
>               64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

I lived with it for a few days, but kept looking at copies of dmesg
output taken at different intervals to see  if I could find where it was
'hanging'.

It has now corrected itself. Nice to have a self-healing OS!

Peter M.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tue 2010-03-02 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413