Hi Tim,

> > > But now I have a couple of problems, first, as soon as I turn the PC
> > > on it places an expansion drive (which is the name of the drive)
> > > icon on the desktop which is sdc1, there is no references to sdc in my
> > > fstab file, how can I stop this.
> >
> > I suspect it's because the USB drive is classed as "removable media",
> > like a USB stick, and it's trying to be helpful and puts a GUI icon on
> > the Desktop when it spots it.

There seems to be a few options, and they vary in their effect and what
ones work over different distros and versions of distros.  One is to
turn off the auto-mounting of all media.

    gconftool-2 -g /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount
    gconftool-2 -t bool -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount false

The first command shows the current setting, the second turns it off.

Apparently, you can put an entry for the partition in /etc/fstab with
the noauto option so it isn't mounted at boot time or with `mount -a',
and the media automounter will also ignore it.  Best to use the UUID.
When you do want it explicitly mounted, it'll be mounted at the point
specified in fstab(5).

You can also tell HAL, if your distro is using HAL, to ignore this
specific device.

    http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/706

Your boat's very crowded.  It's possible Google will narrow the
alternatives if you specify distro and version.

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-07-06 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413