Hi Tim,

> You probably want the remote machine to consume minimal power, so
> something like an old laptop with the usual broken lid hinges or
> clapped out display is ideal. It can be headless and doesn't need X
> installed, just minimal installation which includes rdiff-backup and
> SSH.

I was thinking about this recently and wondered about something like a
Sheevaplug with Ethernet and a hard drive in a USB caddy.  The Ethernet
for connecting to the ADSL router it's sitting next to.  It may not be
fast, including the USB hard drive access, but I only want to rsync over
ssh to it once a day and I'm not sitting there waiting for it to finish.

It shouldn't consume much power but for bonus points perhaps the local
job could power it off remotely when finished.  If it was plugged into a
24-hour timer switch then that could also turn off at a fixed time and
turn on again the next day ready for the next upload.  A remote human
could always switch to always-on if I wanted.

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413