hi Ralph,

> I don't know.  I think one gdm handles the possibly many X servers and
> arranges :{0,1,...}.log files.  It maybe something related to booting
> rotates them before gdm gets started.  I'm not au fait with the new way
> of starting things up in recent releases so don't know the path from
> init(8) to gdm.  :-)  Anyone else?

the .{0,1,..}.logs are written by the server, I do have those when I
start one or more servers manually.

automatic use of gdm/xdm would require a change of runlevel, I'll have
a nose around the default setups provided sometime in the next frew
days and see what's up. will get back to you on this.

--
regards, jr.

time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413