On Friday 01 Oct 2010, Natalie Hooper wrote:
> Thanks for the link.
>
> Looking at the timetable, the evening service is pretty bad. There's a bus
> (back to Bournemouth) at 20.15 then at 22.15 (
> http://www.wdbus.co.uk/uploads/13may10.pdf). And that's it. Not a bus
> service you can rely on (I don't call having to wait 2 hours for a bus a
> "reliable" service).
>
> As a public transport user, this makes it a non-goer for me unfortunately.

I suspected that this might be the case.  I've lived about 2 miles from this
hotel for the last 20 to 30 years and gave up trying to use public transport
in the area around 20 to 30 years ago.  Basically it pretty much non-existent.
You can have any of the following, but never two or more:

   Goes where you want,
   Goes when you want.
   Doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The problem is that the Bournemouth dwellers are used to decent public
transport and so a greater proportion of them don't have cars.  Whatever
happens, I will end up having to drive (or get a lift) to the meet, so I don't
really care whether it's in Bournemouth or not.  The only things I need are
reasonably close parking, a decent Wi-Fi connection and reasonable seating.
The Kings Arms at Wallisdown has two of those three (almost as bad as the
public transport).

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth? TBD, Wednesday 2010-10-06 20:00