I had to build a new PC for the wife just before christmas due to a graphic
card
failure. I built a PC with old kit based on a Gigabyte AMD XP chip with onboard
graphics (S3).

I installed Debian squeeze and the xfce desktop, thankfully most thing worked
out the box, the one that does not is playing .wmv video. I am using the VLC
player to view these video but all I get  is the audio track no video, the
following link is a sample on one of the files I am trying to view (downloading
a playing locally, it is a series of digital images made into a movie with an
added sound track using MS Photo Story 3)

http://www.windriders.co.uk/video/eastbourne2007small.wmv

According to vlc it will play .wmv files

I have also tried using mplayer but I get the same problem

I have checked that I have (what I believe) are the required files installed as
follows:

ka...@karen:~$ apt-cache policy vlc ffmpeg libavcodec52 mplayer
libavcodec52:
  Installed: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Candidate: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Version table:
 *** 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1 0
        500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:0.5.2-6 0
        500 http://ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
ffmpeg:
  Installed: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Candidate: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Version table:
 *** 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1 0
        500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:0.5.2-6 0
        500 http://ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
vlc:
  Installed: 1.1.3-1
  Candidate: 1.1.3-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.1.3-1 0
        500 http://ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
mplayer:
  Installed: 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0.1
  Candidate: 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0.1
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0.1 0
        500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:1.0~rc3++final.dfsg1-1 0
        500 http://ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages

I am guessing I am missing a plugin or a maybe file permission somewhere, any
suggestions?

Tim

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2011-01-11 20:00