On Wednesday 29 December 2010 18:11:54 Robert Bronsdon wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:09:31 -0000, Tim <xendis...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > I installed Debian squeeze and the xfce desktop, thankfully most thing
> > worked
> > out the box, the one that does not is playing .wmv video. I am using the
> > VLC
> > player to view these video but all I get  is the audio track no video,
> > the
> > following link is a sample on one of the files I am trying to view
> > (downloading
> > a playing locally, it is a series of digital images made into a movie
> > with an
> > added sound track using MS Photo Story 3)
> >
> > http://www.windriders.co.uk/video/eastbourne2007small.wmv
>
> I can confirm the problem is a lack of video. I can play other .wmv files
> fine but this one just has sound.
>
> Whoever put the video together has missed a setting somewhere and made an
> audio only file. Unless there is some strange microsoft jiggery pokery
> going on to hide the video track.
>
> The file does seem aweful big for just audio.
>
> If you hunt through the below you'll notice mplayer doesn't even look for
> a video codec. It just reports no video stream.
>
> $ mplayer eastbourne2007small.wmv
> MPlayer SVN-r31628-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing eastbourne2007small.wmv.
> ASF file format detected.
> [asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
> [asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 2
> VIDEO:  [WVP2]  800x600  24bpp  1000.000 fps   31.8 kbps ( 3.9 kbyte/s)
> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory
> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
> Requested video codec family [wmvadmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
> Enable it at compilation.
> Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x32505657.
> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 105.3 kbit/7.46% (ratio: 13159->176400)
> Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
> AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> Video: no video
> Starting playback...

I made the video and I can confirm that there is a video feed in the file as
well. I can download it and play it locally on my PC with KMPlayer or play it
through the web broswer (not quite sure what chrome uses). When I try through
the chrome browser on the wifes PC I get missing plugin.

My PC is running Mepis 8 which is a lenny based distro

Tim

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2011-01-11 20:00