Hi,

Robert Bronsdon wrote:
> > http://www.windriders.co.uk/video/eastbourne2007small.wmv
>
> I can confirm the problem is a lack of video. I can play other .wmv
> files  fine but this one just has sound.

It plays fine here with mplayer from Medibuntu on Ubuntu 8.04.

    $ apt-cache policy mplayer
    mplayer:
      Installed: 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13.1+medibuntu1
      Candidate: 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13.1+medibuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13.1+medibuntu1 0
            500 http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/non-free Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13.1 0
            500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Packages
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Packages
         2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13 0
            500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages
    $

> If you hunt through the below you'll notice mplayer doesn't even look
> for a video codec. It just reports no video stream.

No, I don't think that's true...

> $ mplayer eastbourne2007small.wmv
[snip]
> Playing eastbourne2007small.wmv.
> ASF file format detected.
[snip]
> Requested video codec family [wmvadmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
> Enable it at compilation.

The output here includes

    Selected video codec: [wmvadmo] vfm: dmo (Windows Media Video Adv
    DMO)

So we both agree wmvadmo is desirable but you, and possibly OP Tim,
don't have it.  I suspect the problem is down to Debian not shipping a
binary that can cope with the format, presumably because of freeness
issues.  Perhaps there's a Medibuntu for Debian, e.g.

    http://www.debian-multimedia.org/

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2011-01-11 20:00