On Wednesday 28 Dec 2011 12:06:09 Terry Coles wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 Dec 2011 11:14:30 Simon P Smith wrote:
> > The withdrawal of PPN 3/11 is a scandal!
> >
> > I was using it to try and get some non-M$ products into a government
> > project  - looks like that particular prop to my case has been well and
> > truly kicked out :(
>
> Can I suggest that you write to your MP and point this out.  By pure
> coincidence, I had just sealed the envelope holding my letter to my MP
> (Annette Brooke) when I saw your post.  I pointed out that the decision
> favours the foreign corporates and disadvantages UK companies.

Well, it's taken very nearly three months, but I've finally got a reply to my
letter.  Annette Brooke responded almost immediately after the New Year break,
saying that she had forwarded my letter to Vince Cable.  It then went quiet
for a while, until I got an email from her constituency office saying that the
letter had gone to the Cabinet Office.  Here's part of what it said:

'This is just to let you know that we have just heard from the Department of
Business that Annetteā€™s letter of 10 January on your behalf, has been passed
to the Cabinet Office.  BIS advised that the inordinate delay has been due to
waiting for the Cabinet Office to accept the case.  I am very sorry about
this.'

Today, I received via Annette Brooke's constituency office, a letter from
Francis Maude.  Unsurprisingly, he never answered my original question, which
was effectively 'why did the Government reverse the perfectly adequate Policy
on Open Standards in Government?'.  Instead he tells me all about the current
consultation that is ongoing on Open Standards, which I was already well aware
of because I participated in the preliminary survey last year.  This kind of
response was only to be expected expected really.  You can't expect a straight
answer out of a senior politician.

Anyway, can I encourage anyone who has an interest in this (and can spare the
time), to go to http://consultation.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/openstandards/,
download the Policy Document and respond to the consultancy?

Remember, this is about Open Standards, not Open Source.  Even so, this
country needs to adopt Open Standards in IT to prevent the kind of lock-in
we've had for the last 20 years or so.

Don't forget that if we don't participate, then the proprietary companies will
prevail, because you can be sure they'll be responding.

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2012-04-03 20:00