 From: Ralph Corderoy <ra...@inputplus.co.uk>
To: Dorset Linux User Group <dorset@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, 16 February 2013, 12:13
Subject: Re: [Dorset] opensource projects

Hi Nicky,

As an aside, http://ansible.cc/ is another in the chef/puppet area.

> I'd also - in the long term - think a bit about not wanting to code.
> More and more stuff in the ops field need some developer skills to go
> along with the ops skills.

Agreed.  Even a pure sys. admin. needs to be able to investigate
problems, set up ad hoc monitoring, poke around data, read the source of
a program to fill in the documentation's gaps, and analyse a running
program, e.g. strace(1).  Ability to knock together shell scripts and a
couple of dozen lines of Python is very handy.  It's a bit like
debugging a program but on a bigger scale;  the OS and all the
dynamically-loaded plugins it's running, commonly known as programs.
:-)

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2013-03-05 20:00