On 19/06/2013 14:15, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Charles,

Turns out I was on 11.04 so I have upgraded to 11.10 and am now in
process of upgrading again to 12.04LTS - will probably stop there as
that seems to be the latest stable LTS.
Yes, it is.

I will also be re-formatting network and USB drives to EXT4 and
installing Samba on Windows machines so that they can also use the
drives - does this make sense?
No, not really.  :-)  I've not used Samba, not having a need, but others
on the list have so hopefully they'll pipe up.

If you're intending to plug those USB drives into Windows machines then
they need to be formatted with a filesystem Windows understands;  and
ext4 isn't by default.  If all the drives are connected to Linux
machines and Windows only sees them over the network, then ext4 is fine.

To use the network to access the drives, I'd expect Samba to be on the
Linux machines so they can serve up the drives' content and Windows
would use its native software to access them over the network.  Samba
could also be used for Linux-to-Linux access over the network AIUI;
bits of Samba running on both machines.

What is it you'd like to achieve?  Access to what storage and where?

Cheers, Ralph.

Samba is an excellent tool, controllable from the Linux side and simple to set up and manage.
I recommend it.

--
P.Lane
CEO Lectrics Ltd