On 20/06/2013 14:22, c...@pampru.org wrote:
Thanks Tim, and to all others who have sent comments they have all helped, but I do need Windows AND Linux.

I need Windows because it is used by business. As I am a 73 year old pensioner augmenting my meagre pension by doing occasional work, I can't afford to upgrade Pro versions of Windows software at Microsoft's ever-shortening upgrade intervals. Also, the changes between MS-Office versions are so great that it takes too long to get back up to speed again, hence XP and Office 2003 as my reliable Windows OS/Office. Win-7/Office 2007, which I was just getting familiar with after the Vista 64 disaster, has already been made obsolete by Office 2010 and Win-8!

I run Pampru, a small institute, on a shoe-string budget so this runs Ubuntu Linux/LibreOffice. Not as easy to use as XP/2003, but getting better and (almost) free.

Tim, your idea greatly appeals to me as it seems to solve all problems and reduce complexity too. But please:-

Has Virtualbox been around long enough to be proven reliable?

Can all drives be formatted EXT4?

Would I be able to read and write to non-EXT4 USB memory from any running OS?

Can I load two Virtual boxes on a machine, one for XP and one for later version MS OS that I need to become familiar with?

If all are YES, I would run all PCs on LinuxLTS with Virtualbox(s) and format all drives to EXT4.

Sounds like IT Heaven but what, if any, are the downsides?

Best regards to all,

Charles

Quoting Tim Allen <t...@ls83.eclipse.co.uk>:

Hi Charles