On 20/06/2013 15:01, Tim Allen wrote:

You need enough RAM to run both OS'es together, and enough CPU power. Given that most recent machines come with both that shouldn't be an issue. I'm using it on a 12 yr old machine Terry kindly gave me (4GB, couple of vintage Xeons).

Hardware (eg USB peripherals) are passed through to the guest OS via Virtualbox drivers. I've had no problems with this with things like USB memory sticks, but with more obscure stuff (like microprocessor programming pods) have run into problems.

Booting the guest OS can be quite slow - I've found this more noticeable with Linux guests than Windows guests.

Just as an aside (alternative to Virtualbox), if you have the virtualisation extensions on your hardware then you could use the xen/qemu visualization.

Personally my laptop books into Ubuntu and then starts up a Windows 7 virtual running in an lvm partition under the xen hypervisor. This means it gets access to the tin (graphics card, usb bus etc.) and runs significantly faster than virtualbox.

Regards,

Simon