On Monday 11 January 2016 13:08:25 Peter Merchant wrote:
> I have always understood that the way to power down the R-Pi is to
> unplug it, and I have never heard about problems with the memory cards.

Hmm.  I'm fairly sure that the RPi Foundation recommend that you do a proper
shutdown before pulling
the plug.  I have actually had problems with corrupt SD Cards, although I
haven't established why yet.

> I suggest to always have a backup card available in case of failure in
> any case.

There won't be anyone on site to swap the faulty card.

Obviously, we will have a backup (or two or three), just in case.

> For headless operation it is advisable to use a fixed IP address in case
> you want to ssh into it, but on the basis of information given, it
> sounds like it is standalone and not networked.

There is no accessible network on site.