Hi Clive,

> > > Tonight I tried changing the default reader from Evince to Ocular
> > > and no extra page was printed!  To confirm I printed the same file
> > > again with Evince - blank page printed!

Ah, I didn't realise you printed a PDF from a PDF viewer.  I thought it
would be from some GUI file manager that would just queue it up similar
to using lp(1) or lpr(1) at the command line.

The printer is an HP LaserJet 6P and that supports HP's PCL 6 and
PostScript Level 2 so I'd expect the PDF to be converted.  I haven't run
a printer for years, but I think CUPS does that conversion when it's
given the PDF, e.g. with lp(1).

But Google suggests evince might also convert PDFs and, given signs of
previous bugs where every page printed blank, it could be this
conversion that's adding the blank page.  evince has a "print to PDF
file" option, I think?  If you produce a new PDF using that and view it
in Ocular has a blank page been added?

It does sound like an evince bug.  Google finds plenty of other "blank
page" evince bugs, but not a simple "blank page appended" one AFAICS.

If you'd prefer to keep using evince then you could see if your GUI file
manager lets you select the PDF and then print it, e.g. with a pop-up
menu.

Cheers, Ralph.