On Thursday, 6 June 2019 21:43:44 BST tim wrote:
> My apologies for the lack of replies but I have been ill with a dose of sore
> throat from hell
>
> Since my last message I realised that I had not checked the situation with
> my Windows PC, (I barely use it now a days, it runs headless and I use rdp
> to connect onto it when I do need it).
>
> I was surprised to find that I can connect to all all the folder, read and
> write without issue. I can create, read and write to any folder any folder
> I make in windows and place in the top level folder that is shared nas, I
> can not access it in Linux. The nas is just a simple mapped drive on my
> windows PC
>
> If I take a file or folder in windows and place it in any of the folders
> that I can access in linux I am able to access that file or folder in Linux
>
> So based on the fact that I can retrieve all the information on the NAS
> either by accessing it through windows, or via the NAS own file explorer
> (and a usb disk)  there is a little less urgency to get access to those
> locked (to linux) folders.
>
> So rather than try and correct the permissions mess that is currently the
> data folder on the NAS I was considering making a new data folder on the
> NAS, a new mount point on my (linux) PC
>
> But the question is how should I set it up? I need to be able to have rw
> access to it from either Linux or windows. I have the option of controlling
> user login via the NAS, I can set up the user there.

When you originally posted, I had assumed that you used NFS to access all the
files on the NAS from all of your devices.  Since to the best of my knowledge,
Windows still doesn't support NFS, then I suspect that the NAS is serving up
files using SMB-CIFS and creates Windows shares.

My NAS certainly does that and since I have a heterogeneous network of
Windows, Android and Linux devices I use SAMBA on my Linux machines to access
the Windows shares on the NAS.

In the past, SAMBA has been a bit of a faff to set up, but that was mainly if
you wanted your own machine to be a SAMBA server.  Using Dolphin on Kubuntu
the NAS shares 'just work'.  Similar story on Android devices (with the
appropriate APP installed).  SAMBA has utilities to allow access from the
shell too, but I've never bothered with them too much, becaue I didn't need
that functionality.

So I would suggest you give it some thought, unless you need to be able to
mount the NFS directories directly onto your local filesystems.

  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-07-02 20:00