On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:11:44 +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> The open-source issue is why I mentioned Jitsi.

I like the sound of Jitsi for that reason.

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:48:37 +0100, t...@ls83.eclipse.co.uk wrote:
> I would guess that quite a few of us have a tablet or smartphone
> with Skype installed too

I used to do that and the Skype account is probably still active, but
I'd have to set the tablet back up again. It's stuck on an outdated
version of iOS now, so it might not be compatible with the latest
Skype app.

On the other hand, I do not enjoy video conferences/calls in general.
I think it must be something to do with not being able to tell who
else might be listening in or watching, just out of frame, and the
general bombardment of visual information and inability to tell who's
paying attention to who.

I'm reminded of time spent playing around with VLC Media Player back
when I first had broadband internet access. A friend and I used to
stream webcam video two ways for the novelty of it. You could surpass
the video quality of MSN Messenger, which was my main point of
reference. I don't think we talked about very much over the stream; it
was really just for the novelty of being able to do it!

Of course, without a central host to handle duplication and
distribution, that doesn't scale well to many-to-many conferences;
people would quickly run out of upload bandwidth if they had to serve
a unicast stream to every other participant directly. Plus there's no
authentication or encryption, but maybe that makes it more pub-like.
:)

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, post-lurgi 20:00