On Monday, 30 March 2020 14:11:44 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> True.  And it also needs volunteers to do bit of a trial in the days
> leading up to it so solutions can be communicated on the list in
> advance, e.g. turning off your video feed if upstream bandwidth is an
> issue.

Well.  I've listed the commercial offerings that I use and I now recall
(prompted by looking up the email address I created for the account at the
time), that I was using qtox and utox.  As I recall they both worked OKish on
Ubuntu at the time.

However, a single-ended trial is not very meaningful.  I have successfully
installed Zoom, but I've not used it so who knows?  Similarly can every one
use a tox client?  (Apparently not see below)

> The open-source issue is why I mentioned Jitsi.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dorset@mailman.lug.org.uk/msg09166.html
> For example, https://meet.jit.si/dorset-lug

I've not used jitsi, but I'm happy to try it.

> It's best within Chrome or Chrome-wrapped-up-in-Electron if the Chrome
> browser isn't available.  Up to date Firefox's fair better than older
> ones.

I've just installed in Chromium.  The only problem is that the person that
schedules the meeting appears to need to join it via Google Calendar or
Oulook 365 (spit).

> Perhaps the Tox protocol, qtox is one program.  It's doesn't do
> multi-party audio/video.

Ah I didn't know that.  Clearly not suitable.

> No, it's not the same, but it might be better in some ways, e.g. share a
> window, or new participants arrive.

There is that.

  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, post-lurgi 20:00