Hi Terry,

> I'm not sure I fully understand nodogsplash, but I understood enough
> 2-3 years ago to get the functionality I wanted.  I want to retain
> that functionality and also have the VPN.

Which may not be possible.

A quick read of
https://nodogsplashdocs.readthedocs.io/en/stable/howitworks.html
suggests it's only concerned with controlling the incoming local
interface, i.e. the Pi's Wi-Fi, so I'm surprised it hampers a VPN.
Perhaps it's the VPN which thinks it too has to look after the Wi-Fi
interface and causes the interference.

Careful study of the iptables(8) at various stages may show what changes
occur.

> > The bottom line:  Can macvlan interfaces be used in this instance?
> Would this be the way to go?

Sorry, I've no idea.  On your duplicate test rig, I'd disable
nodogsplash and get other things working, e.g. a reverse-forwarding SSH
client and WireGuard.  (I think I noticed PiVPN supports WireGuard.)
Then, with two sets of working configurations, I'd try and get both
going at once, being sure to limit the bits of the network each treats
as theirs.  If there's a conflict then that might be the time to
complicate things further by adding virtual network devices, having
understood the nature of the conflict.

--
Cheers, Ralph.