Hi Hamish,

> Any thoughts about diagnosing storage unmounting with no explanation
> is dmesg?  This seems rather strange to me.  I'm using a powered hub
> too now, in case I forgot to mention.  Other volumes on the same
> external disk stay mounted.

- How does the filesystem which keeps unmounting differ from the other
  ones on that disk which don't?
- What's that filesystem used for?
- Does ‘sudo lsof /dev/sda1’, adjusted as appropriate, show surprising
  programs using that filesystem?
- Is it possible it is deliberately unmounted from userspace due to some
  forgotten or erroneous program?
    - If the mount-point is altered, does the problem continue?
      This may be impractical to test.
- Have you fun a *forced* fsck on the unmounted filesystem?
- Have you read every byte of the block device?
    - Does putting it under stress in this manner make an unmount more
      likely?

--
Cheers, Ralph.