Hi Terry,

> pi@minster-music:~/Music/Playlist1 $ aplay -l
> card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi
> pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> Can't open libao driver with device hw:0,0 (is device in use?)

As it says, is the device in use?  Is there anything else running which
would decide to use the default audio device?

Are you aware of
https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-audio-cards-with-a-raspberry-pi/instructions
?  I don't know if it's applicable to your AdaFruit device.

Also, have you edited /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf?  Does it still contain
‘pcm.front cards.pcm.front’?  Does the error stop appearing if you
change that to ‘pcm.front cards.pcm.default’?

BTW, ‘aplay -L’ will list the PCMs, and
https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Asoundrc#Global_view_of_ALSA_config_file_framework.2C_executive_summary
describes how the configuration files tie together.

--
Cheers, Ralph.