On Saturday, 5 December 2020 14:26:38 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> speakerbonnet is mentioned in the /etc/asound.conf the above shell
> script installs so perhaps you've already followed those instructions?

Yes I did the Quick Install and everything works as advertised including the
Raspberry Pi Test:

mpg123 http://ice1.somafm.com/u80s-128-mp3

It's only when I substitute mpg321 for mpg123 that I get the error.

I have asked this question on the RPi Forums and if the cause is not identified
before Monday, I'll write to the Support Team at The Pi Hut (they won't be
there until Monday).

I've pretty much decided in any case to stick with mpg321 because running the
loop in Python would consume a fair bit of processing power, but more
importantly it would mean that it might temporarily block the interrupts from
the apscheduler jobs.  You may recall that this code was written so that the
program spends the bulk of it's time in the delay:

  while 1:             # Idle until Opening Hours is true and an event occurs.
      time.sleep(2**31-1)

 which if I recall correctly was suggested by you :-)