Hi Terry,

> However, having obtained the required package, installation failed
> when I tried to install it.  It seems that even when a package file is
> available locally, apt still tries to access the Internet (presumably
> to check dependencies).  It does attempt to fetch the local file, but
> flags a 'Permission denied' error.  I used:
>
> sudo apt install ./network-manager_1.44.2-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb

apt(8) for ‘install’ runs apt-get(8) and that wants a package name.
To use that file with apt, you'd first have to place it where apt-get
expects to find it if it had already been downloaded.  And that place is
where locate(1) records it used to be.

Or, you have bypass APT and install a file with

    sudo dpkg -i network-manager_1.44.2-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb

But it's been so long since I dealt with Debian packages and APT that
I forget if this has downsides.  If it does work and the network works
then you could re-install with APT afterwards.

--
Cheers, Ralph.