On 14/11/2023 11:57, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
apt(8) for ‘install’ runs apt-get(8) and that wants a package name.
To use that file with apt, you'd first have to place it where apt-get
expects to find it if it had already been downloaded.  And that place is
where locate(1) records it used to be.

Or, you have bypass APT and install a file with

     sudo dpkg -i network-manager_1.44.2-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb

But it's been so long since I dealt with Debian packages and APT that
I forget if this has downsides.  If it does work and the network works
then you could re-install with APT afterwards.

I tried the latter method and it seems to work, except it ended with:

WARNING: NetworkManager could not reload connections.

I then had a rummage in /etc and found that the file /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, is empty. In the Network configuration tool in KDE's System Settings dialog is missing.

I have discovered a tool called nmcli, but I'm not sure how far it gets me:

nmcli device status

list lo, eno1 and the WiFi device that starts with wlx..... The ethernet connection is eno1 and is shown as connecting (getting IP configuration)

nmcli connection status

lists the eno1 connections but is otherwise unhelpful.

Does anyone know how to repopulate the system-connections file?