For what it's worth, I installed openssl 1.1.1w in a custom dir,
compiled dovecot 2.3.21 against it and it works like a charm against
our test suite and production load.

packages in https://repo.dovecot.org/ce-2.3-latest/debian/

> > We are going to add support for Debian Bookworm to Dovecot 2.4
version.

> Is there any more concrete news on the mysterious 2.4 ?  I found
an old post from you from 2023 which said "soon" ?

I am aware that we are behind on what we originally estimated to be
the release schedule. However, I would rather we release something
that is good and tested, instead of just dumping something that "might
work".

We can already see that the Debian/RedHat patched 2.3 which is offered
is broken because there is more than just "making it compile" with
things like OpenSSL3, and yes, I can appreciate that it's not fully
broken, but it's not fully working either.

We are working hard to get it out as soon as possible, and hopefully
that soon will be during the remainder of the year, very much
preferring it to be sooner than later personally. Unfortunately things
sometimes just take more time than one wants.

Aki