Jack Stewart wrote:

dhottin...@harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
Quoting Jack Stewart <jstew...@caltech.edu>:

dhottin...@harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 17:27 -0500, dhottin...@harrisonburg.k12.va.us
wrote:
Have there been any issues with dovecot and using outlook express
(imap) as an email client?  I have had a couple of users come up with
random missing emails.  Im trying to figure out if it is user error,
or something wacky in my mailserver. I cant find anything telling in
maillog files or my messages.  Dovecot version is 1.0.3.  Its ok to
reply to me, I get list messages digest.

Is it missing in the mail server or just on the client? What does your
server layout look like?

We had a similar issue with Outlook and AppleMail where the uidlist
would change just enough to wipe out their local index. People would
tell us that they could see the E-mail in webmail but not in their
client.

We haven't had the issue in a long while, but it was painful while it
lasted. The key to resolving the issue had to do with upgrades to the
dovecot version - we currently just made the jump to 1.1.11 and it
seems to be working well. Shes been up almost a year now without a reboot, with close to 750 accounts.

---Jack

Jack,
My server is a linux box running sendmail, procmail, and dovecot, I use ldap on the backend. Most of my clients use Horde for webmail, but I have some that use outlook. The emails are missing, missing. Neither on client or server. Thing is I looked on my backups (7 days worth) and supposedly missing emails werent there either. So its hard to tell how long they have been missing. Also, this server was put online 2 years ago, so all mailboxes were migrated from the oldserver to the new one and renamed oldmail. Nothing in their either. Were there any gotcha's on the upgrade? Im not one to upgrade unless there are security issues or problems and my mailserver has been extremely stable

That is a mystery - nothing to do with my environment.

If I understand you correctly, nothing has changed in two years and some users are now having missing messages. Assuming that this is the case, my money is on the E-mail clients.

Anyone knows how many imap processes starts outlook ?

the default with Thunderbird is 5 which is a nonsense one is enough