On 21.6.2012, at 23.48, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Someone benchmarked Dovecot a while ago in this list with and without
>> imapproxy and the results showed that imapproxy simply slowed things down by
>> adding extra latency. This probably isn't true for all installations, but I
>> don't think there's much of a difference either way.
>
> depends on network-latency, parallel users and last but
> not least count of folders - if you have 30 folders and
> roundcube refreshs every 20 seconds it will make in the
> worst case 180 connections for one user per minute
>
> maybe a bechmark with high load shows other values
>
> but felt performance in our setup is much better with
> imapproxy in front - roundcube feels like a desktop client

Oh, and of course it also depends on Dovecot configuration :) Authentication
cache is needed and login processes must be in high performance mode. There is
still the extra work of forking a new imap process (could also be avoided with
yet another config option) and some other extra CPU usage, but those shouldn't
cause much of a difference.

The extra network latency during login is a good point though.