Quoting Wojciech Puchar <woj...@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>:

It's stupid how webmail works but dovecot doesn't have a problem to get new connections every now and then. just make sure you didn't set up SSL by accident.

Would you mind explaining why you think it is "stupid" the way webmail works? I assume you are angry because a webmail installation will normally need to create a new IMAP connection on every user interaction at the browser level.

Unfortunately, HTTP is a stateless protocol which makes webmail a disconnected client. But it is no different than other disconnected clients, e.g. mail app on a smartphone. I am confused on why you think this is stupid.

The existence of disconnected clients has been contemplated since the beginning of IMAP (see RFC 1733; RFC 4549), and much work has been done to the IMAP protocol (CONDSTORE, QRESYNC, to a lesser extent SORT/THREAD) to increase performance on these clients - especially since that's where MUA usage is exploding.

michael