I am new to actually running dovecot. I actually still use POP as I have for YEARS and thunderbird does not make it easy to convert to IMAP...

My server is moving all tagged spam into the IMAP spam folder. Very nice for the IMAP users, but not for the POP users. Of course the server don't know, and the mysql database for users does not have any flags for this. Don't want my server to fill up with spam from POP users that don't know to check via IMAP.

I am using roundcubemail for the webmail IMAP client. Is there any way for POP users to indicate that they do not want spam so nicely auto moved to the IMAP spam folder?

How do you even define a "pop user" - it's not an easy thing to determine. Someone who hasn't logged in via IMAP in x days? Perhaps implement a lastlogin_imap field?
You really should just have a flag in your database.
Otherwise, just purge from the spam folder messages older than X days (preferably after notifying the users, of course). Another (rather annoying) feature some people have is to have a "spam report" delivered to Inbox daily, listing messages delivered to Spam in the past 24 hours, you can script that around doveadm fetch.