I did eventually was forced to do this and setup a 2 node test environment with the latest dovecot:

/usr/dovecot/sbin/dovecot --version
2.2.25 (7be1766)

/usr/dovecot/sbin/dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=epoll notify=inotify ipv6 openssl io_block_size=8192 Mail storages: shared mdbox sdbox maildir mbox cydir imapc pop3c raw fail
SQL drivers: mysql
Passdb: checkpassword ldap pam passwd passwd-file shadow sql
Userdb: checkpassword ldap nss passwd prefetch passwd-file sql

and dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.15.

It unfortunately made no difference at all. The emails are still replicating while it is completely ignoring the sieve files so there must be a switch in the config for this somewhere. Otherwise I will have to look for other solutions like lsync, rsync to sync them between the nodes.

Here is my complete doveconf -n output:

# 2.2.25 (7be1766): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.15 (97b3da0)
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.8
auth_cache_size = 1 M
auth_mechanisms = plain login cram-md5
default_vsz_limit = 512 M
dict {
  quota = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
}
disable_plaintext_auth = no
doveadm_password =  # hidden, use -P to show it
doveadm_port = 7777
login_greeting = mail.company.com is ready
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l mpid=%e %c %k
mail_gid = vmail
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " quota notify replication"
mail_uid = vmail
maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext editheader
namespace cyruscompat1 {
  alias_for =
  hidden = yes
  list = no
  location =
  prefix = INBOX/
  separator = /
  type = private
}
namespace inbox {
  hidden = no
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Spam {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  antispam_backend = spool2dir
  antispam_spam = Spam;SPAM
antispam_spool2dir_notspam = /home/vmail/spam_training/good/new/%%020lu-%u-%%05lu antispam_spool2dir_spam = /home/vmail/spam_training/bad/new/%%020lu-%u-%%05lu antispam_trash_pattern_ignorecase = trash;Deleted *;éléments supprimés;gelöschte *;&AMk-l&AOk-ments supprim&AOk-s
  mail_replica = tcp:1.2.3.4
  quota = dict:User quota::proxy::quota
  quota_grace = 10M
  quota_rule = *:storage=100M
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+10%%
  quota_rule3 = Deleted Messages:storage=+10%%
  quota_status_nouser = DUNNO
  quota_status_success = DUNNO
  quota_warning = storage=100%% quota-warning 100 %u
  quota_warning2 = storage=95%% quota-warning 95 %u
  quota_warning3 = storage=90%% quota-warning 90 %u
  quota_warning4 = storage=85%% quota-warning 85 %u
  replication_full_sync_interval = 1 hours
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_after = ~/sieve_after
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
  sieve_duplicate_period = 1h
  sieve_extensions = +editheader
  sieve_max_redirects = 20
}
pop3c_host = pop3.e2advance.net
postmaster_address = postmas...@company.com
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp imap lmtp sieve pop3
service aggregator {
  fifo_listener replication-notify-fifo {
    user = vmail
  }
  unix_listener replication-notify {
    user = vmail
  }
}
service auth-worker {
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0660
    user = vmail
  }
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
}
service doveadm {
  inet_listener {
    port = 7777
  }
}
service imap-login {
  process_limit = 256
  process_min_avail = 5
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/public/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
  service_count = 1
}
service quota-status {
  client_limit = 1
  executable = quota-status -p postfix
  inet_listener {
    port = 10020
  }
}
service quota-warning {
  executable = script /usr/local/bin/quota-warning.sh
  unix_listener quota-warning {
    user = vmail
  }
  user = vmail
}
service replicator {
  process_min_avail = 1
  unix_listener replicator-doveadm {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_ca = </etc/ssl/private/sub.class1.server.ca.pem
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/private/star.company.com.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/star.company.com.key
userdb {
  driver = prefetch
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = " quota notify replication sieve"
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " quota notify replication sieve"
}
protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail
  mail_max_userip_connections = 20
  mail_plugins = " quota notify replication imap_quota antispam"
}
protocol pop3 {
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
  pop3_no_flag_updates = yes
  pop3_save_uidl = yes
  pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u
}