Le 20/07/2023 à 00:57, Michael Slusarz via dovecot a écrit :
On 07/19/2023 2:54 PM MDT Michael Grimm via dovecot<dovecot@dovecot.org>  wrote:

Michael Slusarz via dovecot<dovecot@dovecot.org>  wrote:
On 07/18/2023 9:00 AM MDT Gerald Galster<list+dove...@gcore.biz>  wrote:
While I understand it takes effort to maintain the replication plugin, this is
especially problematic for small active/active high-availability deployments.
To clarify: replication absolutely does not provide "active/active".
Replication was meant to copy data to a standby server, but you can't have concurrent
mailbox access.  This is why directors existed.
That simply isn't true, and I am baffled that you don't know that replication
works with a two server active/active setup for years now! Two separate
instances (active/active) on two different continents are a completely reliable
failover scenario for years now.

Very irritating to read such a statement.
You may be irritated, but my statement is accurate.

Eventually consistent replication is *NOT* active/active.  active/active has a
very specific meaning (and is not the same as master/master).

Quotas and shared mailboxes are two troublesome concepts with replicator.
Inconsistent mailbox views are a call center driver.  Neither of these would be
an issue in a true active/active setup.  Forcing a user to a single node at any
given time will prevent some (but not all) issues.

Replicator's scaling issue can't really be worked around, and was a main driver
why Dovecot Pro was developed (example: one Pro customer migrating from
CE/replicators saw a 90% decrease in server count).

Your positive individual experience does not change the inherent
characteristics, and limitations, of the design.  If your setup works for you,
in your particular circumstances, great!  But it doesn't work for everyone.
There is a reason Dovecot development moved on from replicator based
architecture 10+ years ago.

Your focusing on a very specific scenario, and throw the baby out with the bathwater. Multiple shared client access on the same mailbox is a very specific scenario avoidable 99.99% of time as "true" active/active is never a real need. No offense too but it seems that you are biased by your business/customers needs that real world main usage.
It is a little bit sad.
We are slowly but surely FORCED to use external/cloud services as Open (and even closed) source tools are no longer use-able on own/private infrastructures or need nuclear plan like budget and implementation time/ressources (Yes it is a bit exaggerated ;-) )

Regards,
Emmanuel.