Hi Tom,

> I thought this was going to be a duh....but unfortunately I
> still see a box

Try this table instead:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html#iso-88591
You'll need to know what the character is called, and I assume you
intendedto present the latin capital letter E with acute, which is 201,
and the O acute, which is 210.
  É  and  Ò
This works in my tests. It should be noted, though, that these entities
may fail if the font used is not a latin font. While this is unlikely,
it's something you should be aware of.

Regards,

Shawn K. Hall
http://12PointDesign.com/