Well, this is a big "never mind" and a bigger "thanks for the replies".
Turns out I was bit by UAC again; or perhaps it's IE7 Protected Mode on
Vista...

Let this be a warning: if I right-click the chevron and go to Configure >
Local Aliases my editor of choice will open to my localaliases.txt.
Unbeknownst to me however, that file will not be in C:\Program Files\Quick
Search Deskbar, but rather in
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Quick Search
Deskbar. I can edit and restart DQSD all day and I will never actually get
my aliases defined...

Just a note re. some of the suggestions:

> This could be because of alias ordering, try changing the order to:
>
> mov|movie
> movie|ym
>
> ...see if that changes anything. Though I don't think that it's good
> form to use an alias for an alias anyway. ...

I took this from the examples in the stock localaliases.txt. Perhaps that
should be changed?

> I see some aliases with %s and some with "%s".  I think the quotes are
> wrong and should be dropped and they should just be %s

Again, I followed an example here, specifically 'exp|run explorer /e, "%s"'.
Does anyone know the ultimate truth here?

Again, thanks for the help, and sorry I fell for it (again - the first time
was when I complained I couldn't get the Vista style working :)  As the
great man said, "Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't
get fooled again."